The Association of BellTel Retirees helped launch a new corporate organization about three months ago. The sole purpose of this organization is to pass the Emergency Retiree Health Benefits Protection Act of 2005. A new organization was required because the Association’s 501(c) 3 status severely limits the amount of lobbying we can do. Therefore, ProtectSeniors.Org filed for 501(c) 4 status, thus allowing us to do the necessary lobbying to succeed in passing this important retiree-friendly legislation.
Several important milestones have been reached:
– Three Association leaders serve in key positions of ProtectSeniors.Org: Jim Casey – President; Bill Jones – Chairman; Eileen Lawrence – Secretary/Treasurer.
– An experienced lobbyist, Paul Miller, has been hired.
– A Washington, DC office has opened on Pennsylvania Avenue.
– ProtectSeniors.Org has received the desired approval from the IRS for 501(c) 4 status.
– A solicitation was made and members have responded generously, giving us the ability reach out to seniors all across America to join us in this effort.
– ProtectSeniors.Org has formed a Political Action Committee (PAC) which will soon start raising funds to contribute to Congresspersons who will help us.
– We have already met with several key Congresspersons to discuss the bill.
We will keep you informed of progress.
If you want to join ProtectSeniors.Org or want more information about it, please visit: www.protectseniors.org.
Thank you for your continued interest and support. We will continue to keep you informed.
C. William Jones
President & Executive Director
Association of BellTel Retirees Inc.
Chairman of Board